A mouth watering and finger licking recipe!
This recipe actually started as a quick fix for lunch on a busy afternoon, when I didn’t have much time to think and make something elaborate. I rushed through my refrigerator and pantry to see what I’ve got to whip something quick. I found frozen fish in my freezer, a pack of coconut milk which I opened day before which means I had to use it in a day or two and some basic ingredients like onion, tomato, garlic etc in my pantry.
And trust me, that was all I needed to come up with this super delicious dish. It pairs amazingly well with rice although you can try it with paranthas too.
- Fish (cleaned, de-boned, and cut in pieces) : 200 gms
- Onion (chopped) : 1
- Tomato (chopped) : 1
- Garlic (minced): 3 cloves
- Coconut milk : 100 ml
- mustard seeds : 1 tsp + 1 tsp (for tempering)
- curry leaves: 1 tsp + 1 tsp (for tempering)
- Oil: 4 tbsp
- Red chili powder : 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1/2 tbsp
- Salt : to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Put pieces of fish and cook for 2 mins on both sides or till cooked.
- Take it out and add 2 tbsp oil in the same pan. When oil starts to heat, add mustard seeds and curry leaves and let it temper. Add garlic paste and cook for 2 min till raw smell is gone.
- Add onion and cook for another 2 mins. Add tomato and saute till cooked around 2 more mins.
- Add spices and cook.
- once the mixture starts leaving oil, add coconut milk and some water and cook for 2-3 mins. Add fish pieces in and mix well.
- Take off the flame.
- In another smaller pan, heat remainder 1 tspn oil. when oil starts to heat add rest of mustard seed and curry leaves and let it heat for few seconds.
- Add this tempering on the final dish and serve hot with rice or paranthas.