A super easy and quick recipe with very simple ingredients which you can make with kids also.
Chocolate and Orange is a match made in baker’s heaven. Tartness of orange and sweet and bitter flavor blends extremely well and creates a divine result. This recipe is actually the basic recipe I use to make chocolate cake with my kids. It’s a time tested recipe I got from my mom and only additions I do are various flavors like strawberry, orange, almond, rose etc.
I recommend using best quality ingredients specially the butter, chocolate and orange extract for best end results, also grate the orange zest fresh instead of frozen.
- Butter (soften not melted): 1 cup
- All purpose flour: 1 Cup
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Egg: 3
- Baking powder: 2 tsp
- Choco powder: 1/2 cup
- Orange extract: 2 tbsp
- Orange zest: 1 orange
- Icing sugar and fresh orange slices to garnish
- Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees C.
- Prepare an oven-proof dish by lining it with butter and parchment paper.
- Mix Butter, egg and sugar till smooth.
- Mix flour, choco powder and baking powder separately.
- Add dry mix in wet mix and make a smooth batter.
- Add orange extract and orange zest and mix well. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter in the oven and bake for 30-35 mins.
- Check by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, cake is ready.
- Take it out of oven and cool for 10-15 mins.
- Dust with icing sugar on top and garnish with fresh orange slices.
Note: Every oven settings are different, keep checking the cake in between to prevent over cooking.