For household with li’l kids specially girls (no I’m not gender biased, promise!) they have all honoured by a unicorn paying them a visit on atleast one of the birthdays.
My girls are no exception, for good 2 years now, we have had unicorn theme for almost every occasion be it birthdays, Halloween costume, play dates and even Christmas!
Biggest issue for any occasion or party for me is food. I’ve tried making unicorn cookies, decorating white chocolate cookie with fondant flowers and glitters and (making horns out of tiny fondant carrots 😁).
Other stuff on food table to confirm with the theme where some mixed rainbow color twisted marshmallows (store brought) and candies but highlight of the table for rainbow dip with fruit platter.
It’s a simple cream cheese dip with some sour cream, lime juice, sugar, vanilla extract.(Tip: You can get creative but changing flavour like strawberry, orange pr even almond). Whip cream cheese and sugar to get smooth texture, add sour cream, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt (this brings a world of difference) and whip again to thick and smooth texture
Make sure the dip is thick enough to hold its shape. If not, whip it more but make sure you are done with all the whipping before adding sour cream. Once you’ve added sour cream, make sure you don’t whip hard else cream will become watery.
Once you’re happy with the texture and consistency, divide the dip in 3 or 4 parts and add blue, pink, purple to three of them and keep one as white to give a depth. Since I ran out of purple color that day, my dip had just 3 colors, blue, pink and white.
Pour it in a piping bag by layering colors so as to get a gradient or ombre finish. Pipe in the serving bowl directly and use edible decoration before serving. I had some left over golden pearls which I used.
Serve this with a plate of colourful fruits to give rainbow effect. Fruits that I used were strawberry, kiwi, blueberries and orange. You can get creative and add other shades too using fruits like mango, pineapple or grapes.
- Cream cheese: 1 block
- Sour cream: 1/2 cup
- Icing sugar: 3/4 cup (or less)
- Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- Pinch of salt
- Food colors: blue, pink, purple
- Take cream cheese, add icing sugar and whip it till all sugar is mixed well and you get a smooth and thick texture. Make sure, the texture is good enough to hold shape.
- Add sour cream and fold in with a spatula. Add vanilla extract and salt and fold again with spatula.
- Divide the mixture in 4 parts and add food colors in each part.
- Drop in coloured mix in a piping bag a spoon at a time and keep layering all colors one by one, to get a gradient of colors.
- Pipe the mixture in serving bowl and decorate with edible decorations.
- Serve alongside rainbow fruit platter.